Thursday, April 13, 2006

alemanya

Germany is, well, full of Germans. Everything is in German. The driver who fetched me from Nuremberg airport can't speak and understand any single English word I say. All we did was shake hands. I told him about the cold weather but all he did was shrugged and raised his hands to inform me that he doesn't understand. After a few minutes of driving, I noticed that I wasn't buckled up. I told him that I forgot to strap my seatbelt because in Philippines we're not used to seatbelts. But we're not driving as fast as 100kmh and blah blah blah. He stared at me as if to choke me to death, gave me a sly smile, nodded his head in disapproval and shrugged his shoulders. Pshew! I gave up.

My first day of work. I felt like I stand out with all the colors on my golf shirt (they usually wear dark colors), my deep brown skin, my earring and, of course, my *ahemm* young looks. I only realized later that a lot of people are wearing earrings and there are plenty of young-looking engineers. Pisti uy! An engineer in the testing department said that I'm sooo brown. What the hell did he expect? Michael Jackson? Temperature in the tropical and exotic Philippines goes as high as 35C! And besides I'm proud of my brown skin.





I was impressed to see that my computer and project setup were all in place the day I arrived. I got a spanking new 21" LCD monitor. But my spirit soared down the moment I realized that the OS is in German. Tears almost fell down my cheeks when I take a look at the RTOS software and mostly are in German. The damn variable names and function names are in German. The comments are in German. Furthermore, the schematic diagrams are labeled in German. WAAAAAAAAAAH! I think it was easier to "trap my fart" (in Bisaya: magbitik sa otot).

9 comments:

aneshka said...

di diay pwede i change ang settings sa pc i.e. change language to english or download any software nga maka change ug localization???

Anonymous said...

hehehe... kalingaw gud nimo 'iam... ako k naa ko'y english-german translator sakong favorites k ang speaks sa BMW k in German man... nakakat-on na gud ko ug german technical terms...

Anonymous said...

splat, naa lang ko pangutana.. ang mga young looking engineers kay handsome looking pud? hehehe!

Anonymous said...

gwenn, unsay speaks? specs?

splat said...

aneshka, gichange na ang settings sa pc pero mao ra gihapon.. german man daw ang OS... naa toy kinahanglan usbon pero dili ko katultol asa kay german man inig open nimo sa control panel...

splat said...

gwenn,
maanad ra tingali ko ani kadugayan.. ang ako nabal-an nga german word diri kay "danke" (spell out every syllable) ra gyud - thank you in english, kabayong gamay in bisaya

splat said...

ylan,
mga pretty girls and handsome boys ang mga taw diri.. dili parehas sa dearborn nga mapili ra ang mga maanyag...

ang ako supervisor kay makadumdom ko ni dave sivako.. hinhin, hinay tingog, hilomon...

Anonymous said...

mao ba? maginahan man sab ta muanha! hehee.. picturi iam! hhehe!

splat said...

ylan,
dili ko mopicture uy madaot pa lang ang akong machismo diri.. hehehe daghan batan-on diri, ylan.. dili parehas sa u.s... malipay gyud ka kung moari ka..