Friday, April 28, 2006

foreigner


The Bavarian part of Germany, which I am now, is known for its landscape - beautiful hills, thick forests, nice Bavarian houses and buildings. Add it with German aesthetics on furnitures, appliances and architecture, and it makes a picture perfect place. I am almost certain that the standard Bliss wallpaper found on msXP OS was captured on this side of the world.

Yet, I'm not feeling excited about the whole situation. Something's missing.

When I went to the U.S. 4 years ago, I dreaded the fact that I will be in a foreign land, completely ignorant to the culture, to the way of life. I could write a book about all the blunders I made while I was there. I never imagined things work this and that way in a first world country. I never looked back and felt sad about leaving the warm Philippines, about leaving my friends. In fact, the place grew in me. I could see myself living and growing old in that foreign land. I began to like the cold weather and the snow. It didn't make me sad. I could only recount 1 out of 365 days that I felt homesick - it was only during my birthday.

But now and here, it was different. I kept on thinking about the laags, gimiks and dine outs back in Cebu, specially the beach under the Philippine sun. Here, there's Munich, Berlin, Frankenfurt, Spain, even France to go to. Or go even further like Portugal, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy - all within my reach (if I only have the time and the budget, of course.). Still it didn't appeal to my senses.

Maybe because I don't know the language. I don't feel welcome. I was a total alien. In the US, I can easily blend in. Here, I don't even know what to reply to the sales lady if she asks me something or to a cute stranger I met along the way. If I went to the supermarket and pay the cashier, I will be very glad to say "tschuess" (read as choos, bye in English ) because that will be the end of the conversation. When I went to the gas station and wanted to use the restroom, I can't just barge in to the cashier and ask for the key. So I have to punish my bladder.

There are a lot of Filipinos, Pinays to be specific, in nearby cities. But they are not enough to satisfy my hunger for parties and good times. They're older women and have totally different meaning of good time. They like to talk about who's beautiful, who's got the nice boobs, the nice ass, the nice body, the clearer complexion, the sexier dress and so and so. And I am teaching them boogie for a party presentation this 6th of May! I still can't recall how I get myself in this ordeal. I have to add though, they are all extra nice. I felt so at home when they are around. Some would remind me of my real tiyas back home. They're so concerned about having enough food to eat for the day.

I'm counting the days I'll be back home and basking under the hot sun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah... now i know where that Bavarian word came from... ehe... like Bavarian Motor Works (BMW)

eneweiz, lahi akong gihuna2x ron k gigutom nako... splat, nakakaon na ka ug Bavarian-filled donut dra? hehe...

Anonymous said...

naay pahabol...

gimingaw na sad ko'g cebu splat... gimingaw nako sa laag ug Bo's ug pork belly, lechon manok sa talamban, fried chicken sa TC, botchoy, tapsilog... waaaa... ug sa tabi2x sa ofis... ug naa pa diay ko'y laing gimingawan pero secret na lang na... hehehe...

splat said...

sus, gwenn, dili ko ganahan mosulod ug mga kan-anan diri kay dili ko kasabot sa menu unya dili mi magkasinabot sa tindera.. kapoy kaayo ug sinyas-sinyas

secret-secret pa ka nga kabalo man ko kinsa imong gimingawan.. hehehe

Anonymous said...

hoi splat! nagpartime DI diay ka diha? hehehe...
mao pud ta na akong pangutana, diha pud gikan ang bavarian filled donuts? hehehe