Tuesday, October 07, 2008

smasher trouble

(photo courtesy of http://plausiblefutures.wordpress.com/)


It is reported that some poor soldering job had caused the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) to malfunction. After all the hoopla during its launching last month, they even have that famous Youtube parody about geeks rapping it up for this piece of science. Having the world's most brilliant scientists and they couldn't even got the soldering correct. As they say, 1 fault out of the particle collider's 10,000 connections is not bad. But it costs them some precious time.

If you're not as geeky as I am, or if you don't know anything about CERN or haven't read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, listen here. Open your Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox or Opera or Apple Safari, you know what I mean, then type 'CERN' and hit enter. Then you'll have the slightest idea what kind of animal I'm talking about here.

I'm initially kinda excited about this largest particle accelerator in the world or, as CERN puts it, "world's largest and most complex scientific instrument". Think about exposing the secrets of the cosmos, about the endless possiblities of scientific discoveries. Who knows in the near future we might have a condom as thin as gas you wouldn't notice it was there. Then we'll have all the physicists in CERN to thank for.

*sigh* I'm thinking about shifting careers now and maybe move to Geneva.

I know you're not interested with news like this so pardon my interruption and for bothering you from watching your favorite noon-time show.

3 comments:

Gwenn said...

Splat, I agree that it's really fascinating to study atoms and their behavior and the equations that govern them(nyak! I just remembered all those Modern Physics craps that I used to study and memorized in order to pass Sir Tan)... hehehe... BUT after those four years of drinking black coffee and sleepless theory proving nights, I realized that I can never be a Physicist. I don't have the passion and the vision that they have. I just can't see and appreciate the "beauty" behind those equations. My passion still belongs to Chemistry. Seriously. nyehehe... dili ko hubog... LOL

splat said...

hahahaha... nagkatawa man ko nimo, gwenn, uy... nakadumdom ko sa atong mga laag specially katong sa bogo... speaking of CERN, grabe kaayo ilang data collection sa??? naa daw sila 15million Gigabytes of information nga kinahanglan i-process every year... *nosebleed*

Ylan said...

"I'm not a physicist.. i'm a chemist!!!" - TG hehehe